Monday, October 5, 2009

Language Barriers


There are a whole bunch of Ethiopian taxi drivers. Some of them drive real taxi cars, others drive town cars. All of them are very pushy. Some of them dress up in suits to look more responsible. This I find very amusing. I, however, don't find them amusing when they all come into the caffe at the same time. They really enjoy sitting down and shouting out their order to me behind the counter. They also can't speak English very well so I never know what they are actually talking about. They ordered a bunch of cookies one day, so I gave them cookies, only to find out they really wanted scones. They also confused sandwich and croissant. I figure we can work on this.

There is one driver who likes to stick around for even longer. He has tried to ask me out now at least 10 times. Two times he has asked to give me a ride home. When he asks what time I get off work, I always reply with late. It didn't take him too long to figure out that I wouldn't tell him the time, so then he just started to invite me to dinner. First he wanted to take me to food. Then it slowly got to the point where he offered to bring the food to me. After the 5th dinner invite, I finally said, "how about you bring me a plate of food already made and I will eat it by myself behind the counter?" He said ok. But then he said, what time should I pick you up? I am guessing he didn't actually understand what I said.

Today is even a better example of why I could never go on a date with him.

Me: Short coffee?
Rafiq: When we go to dinner?
Me: I'm super busy. How's your class? (He's currently enrolled in an english class)
Rafiq: Every day
Me: HOW's your class?
Rafiq: One week
Me: No, How is your class going?
Rafiq: 11 to 4
Me: No no, how is your class? do you like it?
Rafiq: 25 people

And just imagine how awkward dinner would be.

1 comment:

  1. this guy did the same to me, but more like "you are such a beautiful asian woman." after that comment, I said, "thanks" in the coldest way possible. Now I don't look him in the eye, or smile, or anything. All business. He doesn't tip me his change anymore, but at least I don't have to deal with him giving me that look, the one where he is undressing me with his big eyes....yukyukyuk!

    Also when he says dinner, he actually means he'll bring you some mcdonalds from downstairs...ask tatiana;)

    ReplyDelete