Thursday, August 27, 2009

Panamanian Disguise


There is a man. This man plays the accordion. It's not actually an accordion. It has a different name which he tells me every time but I still refer to it as accordion. He also has a very large belly. He usually wears suspenders. He has a mustache. And he seems like he could work in a circus. I also wish he would work at a circus and entertain people who pay him. I would like to pay him to stop trying to entertain me. Unfortunately, he always picks the wrong time to come into the caffe. He shows up when I don't have any other customers so he has unlimited time to chat. He makes lots of bad jokes. I never understand them.

Today was no exception to his usual antics. He showed up wearing his normal attire but this time accompanied with a straw hat. This was apparently his "Panama Disguise." Then he proceeded to talk to me in a different voice, with an accent, and also in 3rd person. So then I had to talk back to him in the 3rd person just to get his order, which he changed because a Panamanian wouldn't drink a hot tea, he would drink an iced mocha (after working in the fields...). I didn't know whether to laugh or be offended. And then I thought maybe I am working in a circus disguised as a caffe.

No comments:

Post a Comment