Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Math Projects


I looked at the calendar and realized that it wasn't December, but it was September. Then I thought about all the holidays in September. I couldn't think of any except of Labor Day. There were no parties that I knew of going on. So I had to wonder, why was this woman dressed like a Christmas elf?

I tried to take her order but was secretly awaiting my present. I got no present, but I did get her drink. It took me only a few tries to understand what she wanted because she had a cotton ball in her mouth. I didn't want to be rude and ask her to take it out. I thought I was done with her once she had her drink in hand but she kept coming back. I guess to her I was her Santa Clause. Too bad I can't give my own self surprise presents.

Elf: So I bet you love your job.
Me: Yeah, it's fun and also funny. You see some crazy things
Elf: So do you prefer to work at Starbucks or here?
Me: I don't know. I have never worked at Starbucks
Elf: But if you did
Me: I wouldn't work there
Elf: But just imagine if you had to chose between the two
Me: I would obviously work here
Elf: What do you get paid
Me: Minimum wage plus tips
Elf: Oh ok, so how much is that about?
Me: Not very much. That's why if you have any job in the service industry you have to depend on the tips
Elf: Okay so about how much is your salary
Me: I don't get a salary I get paid hourly
Elf: So how much is that?
Me: (Seriously????) Why don't you go over there and figure this out. Do you like math?
Elf: I am not very good at it.
Me: Well you can practice today.

And then I wrote out some numbers and broke it down by day, then made her figure out what could be the weekly number, and then told her to figure it out yearly. Then to throw in a little extra surprise since every Santa needs a helper, I had her take out the "taxes." It was funny to watch to say the least. I could tell she kept trying to come over to ask me more questions about the math homework I assigned her, but then I had a line of other customers. I wonder if she ever figured it out?

No comments:

Post a Comment