Thursday, December 10, 2009

The 4 cent tip

Everybody knows how much I love tips. I mean, who wouldn't? I think I would also really love a job that didn't have tips. A job that involves perhaps an office, salary, and normal hours. You can imagine how much I love it when people say "so you went to an ivy league college...and you're working here?" That usually is my favorite comment. Today a man said "God, I hope my son doesn't end up like you. I'm not paying for his college to end up working at a caffe." Thanks mister. He paid for his coffee with a credit card. There is a line for a tip. I saw that he put something on the tip line. I said a premature "thank you" and as he walked out he told me "good luck paying back those student loans." Then I looked at the tip line and he had given me a 0.04 tip. I hope his son doesn't end up working in a caffe, I hope he ends up there. Luckily I didn't have to feel bad for too long because the next guy in line wrote down his phone number and passed it to me across the counter. He then told me "if I really wanted to pay back those loans, to give him a call because he has a great job for me." I don't know why today everybody was so concerned about me and my education. Maybe tomorrow I will find an official sponsor for grad school.

No comments:

Post a Comment