Friday, May 29, 2009

Soapy Hands

I had an almost entirely normal day today, at least until the last five minutes. I love it when people come in and start speaking a different language to me. Mostly I think it's funny when it's Spanish because that I understand. Any other language and I either find it fascinating or offensive. Fascinating if it's Italian or French or Portuguese because those are romantic and I can usually guess what they are saying. Offensive if it's any other language because I generally have no idea what is being said and I am left to guess what they want to order or assume they are talking about me.

So today was lucky because the guy was speaking Spanish. So I responded in Spanish. Then he thought it was neat I spoke Spanish. I was holding a pair of tongs in one hand and a soapy, dirty sponge in the other. Then he tried to shake my hand. I showed him that my hands were full. He apparently didn't care. At least that is what he said. I told him that I cared and so it's ok that he doesn't shake my hand. But then he grabbed my sponge hand and kissed it. That was gross. Not so much for me because I think my hands were being protected by the soap and bleach, but his mouth was not. As he pulled his mouth away, he had some soap suds on his chin. That was quite amusing. Then I told him his soda was $20. He handed me a $10 and continued to look in his pocket for more. I said a pop could never be that much, I was only kidding. So I took a dollar from him and called it good. I thought he would leave. Then he asked me what there was to eat. So then I showed him everything and he said that I should pick out whatever I want and he will buy it for me. I don't think he understood the concept that I work at the Caffe and I can eat whatever I want anyway. So then instead he got an apple. Then he kissed my dirty hand one more time. I said that he's going to get brain damage from ingesting so much bleach and should probably stop all the hand kissing soon. And he responded with "you can't say that." I tried to say "yes I can" but he was gone before I could spit it out. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment