Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Graduate School

Graduate School is a great thing. It's always fun to discuss it with people who think they know everything. It's also really fun to talk about it with someone who just wants to keep talking. I luckily discussed it with a lady who did both things. We'll call her Harriett because she definitely looked like one.

First the background info. There is only one piece of information really. And that info is on my tip jar it says Tuition Jar instead of Tip Jar. It also says Loan Payback but most people assume I am in school. Sometimes I just pretend I am in school. But sometimes people like to ask questions and then I tell them my life history. Usually they throw in a $1 and walk off looking a little scared (I like to think more intimidated but that might be stretching it).

Harriett: So what are you going to school for?
Me: Well, I'm not in school right now, but I am working to go to graduate school
Harriett: Oh really? Well, I just got my doctorate. I went to a public school for undergrad but then I decided to pay extra money for graduate school and went private. Then I realized what I was missing in undergrad. Private school is great. I have a great education. You know I am soon to be graduating and most people don't graduate.
Me: Wow that's great. Yeah I went to a private school for undergrad as well
Harriett: Yeah well it's really great. The Jesuits are amazing. They want to help you out. I mean where do you want to go to graduate school
Me: Ideally I would go to Stanford, Harvard, or U of Chicago.
Harriett: Oh, so you are trying to get away from here? Well, where are there good Jesuit schools elsewhere. I mean, you should really try to be around the Catholics. They are just so loving. They want you to succeed. Well, you should probably try to go to Notre Dame.
Me: Here's your coffee. Have a great day
Harriett: Okay, think about the Catholics.
Me: I hope you baptized your dog Catholic (said in my head)

I hope she marries a priest.

Then Homeless II came back. He stared at me. Then he said he was tired. I stared back. Then I felt awkward. So I asked him how he's been. And then he said he's trying to become a pressure washer.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm so glad I randomly stumbled across this blog in a horrible bout of (coincidentally) procrastinating on my grad school work. Made me laugh out loud, mostly because of how frighteningly similar this sounds to my job. I work for a man who drinks decaf, sugar-free soy mochas and once told me that he wanted to start carrying frozen yogurt so we could attract "all the hot young anorexic girls."

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete