Thursday, November 5, 2009

Godparents

There are lots of words with "parent" in them.
- Parent
- Parents
- apparent
- Godparent

Today, I am speaking on behalf of godparents. It's a big responsibility. Not many people know what is involved. Depending on your heritage, you may have different responsibilities or more responsibilities. One person learned that the hard way, and that person was a police officer. He became a godparent to a Mexican family. In accepting the offer he didn't know what was involved. $500 later he learned that being a godparent means buying a dress, throwing a party, and making sure to always remember the children's future birthdays. It's almost like having a child of your own. For some reason, unknown to me, I heard about this today. And then I got asked to be a godparent by a different officer. I said I wanted something in return because I don't need to be a parent just yet. Then he asked what I would like? Then I said, "free protection." As soon as he started laughing, I realized I probably should have come up with something else, like a uniform. And that's just why I am not ready to be a godparent yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment