Saturday, November 14, 2009

Fallen

When I come to work, sometimes I want it to be busy and sometimes I want it to be slow. I guess it depends if I have work to finish. Today was quite busy. I had a line of people and an old guy at the end of the line. I kept hearing things crash and looking over. The old man kept knocking things over and not picking them up. Then he fell into the pastry case. I was wondering if something was wrong with him. I thought maybe he was retarded. By the time he got up to the counter and ordered his double espresso in a slurred speech, I realized that he didn’t have any actual physical problems, he was just drunk at 2pm. He did give me a $5 tip so that was acceptable. I handed him his little drink and put a lid on it, just in case. He asked me where the straws were so I pointed. I am not sure what happened between me pointing and him getting an actual straw, but I do know that 30 seconds later he was on the floor. I saw the newspaper kiosk fly across the caffe and then he was just laying there. I almost wanted to laugh but then he proclaimed “I’m just so sad!” I mean I would be sad if my zipper were open, I was drunk, I peed my pants, and I fell on the ground too. So I helped him up, re-made his drink, and then he wanted to thank me for being “so strong” by giving me a kiss. I told him no thank you. He finally made it out the caffe, only to stand right outside the entrance shouting “I’m sorry” every couple of minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment