Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Like a Bird

First customer of the day hits me like a mosquito crashing into an elephant. If that didn't make sense, at least just picture it. This guy clearly likes to talk. I am not in a talking mood today, mostly because I am losing my voice, so I am not excited. I start getting his stuff ready. Then he wants to know my name. As we make small chit chat he then pulls out these little leaves from a tree. I don't even remember what they are called but they look similar to a boomerang. He handed me one and then peeled it open and first stuck it on his nose, then stuck it on mine. It looked like he had a beak. I wanted to laugh until he asked me to wear mine just for a little bit. I wanted to tell him that this is a caffe, not a circus. I think I was just too tired to argue anyway, so I served him his bagel wearing the "beak" and also feeling like an idiot. But not as much of an idiot as him because he wore it while he ate and while he drank, and then he still had it stuck to his face when he left the caffe.

The best part of all of this was that he tried to ask me out, with the "beak" on.

He started by asking me if I liked New Yorkers. I of course said yes because my friends live there. But then he changed subject and said he was new in town and asked me if I would be interested in going out with him sometime, maybe for a coffee. First, I work in coffee. I see it, drink it, smell it every single day. Of course I do not want to go to another caffe when I'm not at work. Two, I don't date fake birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment