Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Land of the Small

Finally I arrived to Malaysia. It only took a good 22 hours! I was expecting something like the tropics of Costa Rica or Hawaii even. However, it's quite the opposite. I am in the middle of a city, surrounded by huge buildings which are actually shopping malls and food courts, and also at the same time surrounded by really tiny people. I feel like a giant which is quite fun because I have never felt that way before. I also have come to realize that I don't really want to ever be a giant.

We were taken from the airport by a driver and the manager of the new caffe. Then some of his friends met us and I was taken to find an outfit for the Indian Wedding I would be attending that evening. I think that my excitement to own a sari was daunting to the soon to be trainees. They didn't know whether to laugh or be scared. They started laughing so I figured I could get a little carried away. After all, I was trying to fit in.

I was fitted for my very own sari. In the dressing room I put it on wrong a total of 3 times, correctly 1 (with the help of the sales lady). Then I tried to get some bindis. Then I also decided to get some bangles. I attempted to get henna but apparently that was overdoing it. So I left with my sari, a set of bindis (for future occasions where I need one), some bangles, and the hope that I would be able to put together this ensemble by myself.

I arrive at the wedding. I thought it would be a nice idea to wear heels. My sari, after all, was still dragging. High heels in Malaysia = bad idea. Again, was a foot taller than everybody else. I bet they thought I was powerful. Especially since I got to sit right in the front in the seat of honor. I flashed them a peace sign to say "what's up." I think that was a very smart move.

No comments:

Post a Comment