Saturday, June 20, 2009

Gyro Factory

The theme of today was "approachment." I am not sure why or how or why again, but people just kept approaching the counter. You might think this is a good thing, especially for business, but not when the approachee is not ordering anything. And that is why the theme is called "approachment" instead of "Ordering."

First I get two older men. They are missing some teeth. Then they want to know if I know of anyplace that has gyros (pronounced jay-rows). I didn't know what a "jayrow" was so I politely asked them to repeat themselves. When they added in "factory" I realized they were talking about the Greek food. I politely told them that I had absolutely no idea, but we sold sandwiches, which could be imagined to be a gyro. They didn't quite understand. I didn't understand them. Then before they decided to leave, they went for another type of approachment by asking me how they could get a girl like me to work in their "shop." I apparently gave enough of a disgusted look that they did the opposite of approach and instead retreated. Thank god I've been practicing this look.

Then another man approached. He was huge. He looked like he was a football player but one who drank too much beer. And instead of wearing the tight pants, he was wearing Hawaiian print shorts instead that just barely covered anything since his stomach was a bit large. He looks friendly. I even briefly pondered crossing the counter to give him a huge bear hug. But then he opened his mouth. Then his mouth stayed open...for another 30 minutes. I stopped listening after 5. He started off talking about the shoulders of fish and how he likes to eat them, then he talked about his deals with fishermen to get those parts, then something about the number of pounds, then something about the deal being lost, then something about finding another fisherman, then something about another business, then something else about fish, then something about Samoans, then more about fish, then more about fishing, then something about his diet. And then he finished it off by saying that he borrowed $3 from me a few years ago and wanted to pay it back. I had no idea what he was talking about but I like extra money so I decided to listen. But then he never gave me the $3 and started talking more about fish. WHY ME?

No comments:

Post a Comment