Monday, February 22, 2010

Verbal Handcuffs

"Verbal Handcuffs" is a concept that I am well versed in working at the caffe. Most people don't know what this means, but you should.

Verbal Handcuffs:
When someone won't stop talking (usually about a subject you have no interest in).
The talker has verbally forced you to stand there and listen, even though you have given many clues that you have checked out.

Even though I am at work and have many excuses to escape customers, I never seem to be able to do it gracefully. I get stuck in verbal handcuffs more often than not. I try to give lots of clues to let them know that I am no longer paying attention. Some of these clues consist of:

- counting money
- washing dishes
- closing my eyes
- moving to the farthest corner in the caffe
- pick up the phone and pretend to be giving someone information
- turning the music up

For some reasons, these clues will usually go unnoticed. Someone will ask me to please lower the music because it's hard for them to talk over the music. Some will shout to me from across the caffe. No matter how many times I say "what? I can't hear you" they don't give up.

The worst is when someone purposefully misses their ride so they can hang out with me for an extra hour. And that is exactly what happened today. Maybe I should invest in a taser?

No comments:

Post a Comment