Sunday, February 21, 2010

How are you?

I like to think the most common question asked besides "can I get your phone number?" is "how are you?" Because the common knowledge behind this question is that the person asking doesn't really want to know the answer, you should always answer briefly and somewhat positively.


Some examples of good answers to this question are:


- fine
- I'm doing well
- Great
- Excellent
- Alright
- ok
- Tired

This question, in my opinion, is asked mostly to be polite. Most people don't really care about the answer unless they are your friend. In some cases, they may care but don't have the time to hear it. That is why most people answer with one word. Keeps things short and simple without getting too involved in someone else's business. Unfortunately for me, this concept goes over more peoples heads than I would like. I tend to get longer answers or just people talking about how bad their day was, even if I have a line of customers after them. My favorite answer came today from a middle-aged woman. She was clearly having a rough day, maybe even month.

Me: How are you?
Lady: I guess I could always be dead
Me: That doesn't sound too good
Lady: Well it isn't
Me: I'm sorry to hear that
Lady: Everything is going wrong. I missed my bus, I've been traveling all day, they messed up my lunch order, and now I have to wait here for another hour
Me: Well, at least you get to have a nice cup of coffee and enjoy the view
Lady: No, that's not what I want to do
Me: I hope you can find something you want to do. Hey, you didn't get pooped on by a bird. That's always a good thing right?
Lady: I want to get out of here
Me: Okay, well good luck. I hope the rest of your day goes better
Lady: It won't

No comments:

Post a Comment