Tuesday, February 9, 2010

the DUI

There are things that are embarrassing and/or shameful. I like to keep these things to myself. Other people, apparently like to share these little tidbits.

When working in the customer service industry, one tends to ask questions to be polite. I always like to make small talk with people. I don't usually expect honest answers. I especially don't want to hear an honest answer if it's complaining about something.

Me:
Hi, How are you?
Joe: I'm just alright. Getting ready for a long day
Me: Oh yeah? I know those well
Joe: Probably not the kind I'm about to have
Me: Hmmmm, maybe not
Joe: Yeah, my day is going to be horrible
Me: I am very sorry to hear that. Whip cream?
Joe: I'm really going to need all I can get for what's going to come
Me: Well how about I throw in an extra shot of espresso for you
Joe: That would be nice. Maybe it will make the next 6 hours go by faster
Me: I hope so
Joe: So, do you know what I have to do
Me: (I was trying not to hear...)
Joe: I have to go to a DUI class. I got a DUI a bit ago so I have to sit through a class with a bunch of drunks.
Me: (Aren't you one of them too?)

And for me, none of this needed to be said. He could have stopped right before DUI class. But thank god he didn't. I might have stayed up at night wondering what he was going to do after he got the coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment