Thursday, January 28, 2010

Therapy

It's always the people who need therapy the most, who have no idea they are crazy. I see these sorts of people all the time. Sometimes I interact with them multiple times a day. There is a lady who comes in a few times a week. She has a very high-pitched voice and likes to laugh a lot instead of ordering her drink. At first I thought she was always just nervous, but then I soon realized that, no, it's just how she is.

Each time she comes in, she tells me something she's doing. After 2 weeks, it started to seem like this lady had 5 different jobs. I have no idea how she would be able to operate such a schedule if she was also a college professor, as she claimed to be. It soon came out that besides being a professor, she also works at the Goodwill, is also a student, and also teaches at another college. Besides the multitude of jobs, she is married. Instead of an actual wedding ring, every year her "hubby" gets her a new ring from a vending machine.

Today she told me how she went into a counselors office at her college to talk to someone about a job search. (If she already had 5, I am not sure why this was needed). So the counselor apparently handed her a list of therapists instead. She then proceeded to show me the list, then laugh, and say "I'm not crazy!" I laughed back, because I think she is crazy. But then she looked at me with sad eyes and repeated, "I'm not crazy, right?" I felt bad, lied and said "of course not," to which she replied, totally relieved, "it must be my newly dyed pink hair. It doesn't look fake does it?" To this, unfortunately, I had no response.

No comments:

Post a Comment