Thursday, March 11, 2010

Jobs

I love it when people talk about jobs. Either they have one or they don't. There can be many reasons for this and I like to think this my personal goal to find out the particular reasons from each customer. Today there was a short man who chatted me up for a good half hour about his numerous jobs.





4'11: Do you like working here?
Me: Yeah, it's pretty interesting. You see a good mix of people. I was hoping for something I studied in college, but the economy's rough right now
4'11: What did you study?
Me: Graphic Design and Economics
4'11: So what are you looking for?
Me: I don't even know anymore. Something creative
4'11: I used to do IT for a huge company. I was working a lot
Me: That's good
4'11: You need to talk to people. Tell everyone you are looking for a job. I bet you see lots of Microsoft people
Me: I tell people
4'11: Well you should tell more. I am the best at getting jobs. Now I am a taxi driver
Me: Well that's great.
4'11: Yeah, I can't believe it. And I can make $100 an hour which is more than I ever made
Me: That sounds good. (so how come you didn't give me a tip?)
4'11: It's great being a taxi driver. I still do IT. I also used to own a business.
Me: Aren't you the jack of all trades?

And before I could find out more, another customer walked in to inform me of his days as a dishwasher in a restaurant. Currently he's unemployed. And also his daughter is a brat, according to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment